ICON GALLERY

Icon-Atelier of Krystyna Kuś-Kilichowska

Traditionally painted icons with tempera technique and gilded

The Holy Trinity
- Rublev

height: 36 cm
width: 27 cm
thickness: 2,5 cm

Contact Form

Hand-written (painted) icon by iconographer M.A. Krystyna Kuś-Kilichowska graduate from Nicolaus Copernicus University, Art Conservation and Restoration Faculty.



Icon written (painted) using old traditional techniques:

  • gilded with golden leaves 23.75 karat
  • painted on gesso a number of substrates made from a traditional mix of an animal glue binder and chalk
  • painted in egg tempera technique
  • traditionally painted on a hollowed out linden wood forming a so-called ‘kovcheg’
    (ark or shrine) separated from the elevated margin (border, frame) by the ‘luzga’,
    a shallow angled edge
  • provided with tapered and dove-tailed battens inserted into the back
    (like icons from the 12th to 15th centuries)
  • covered with amber shellac and varnish

Icon The Holy Trinity - Rublev

Icon The Holy Trinity - Rublev



The icon could probably be created around 1408, because it is stylistically similar to Rublev's frescoes in the Dormition Cathedral
(created roughly at the same time)

The Trinity is currently held in the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.